I
don’t hate
symbolism, but I can’t really say I like it either. It’s
confusing. I like being able to identify symbols, but figuring out
what it means, or what the author intended it to mean, can be
extremely difficult. As I followed along with the book and took in
what Thomas was explaining, I got answers on some questions i’d
always had about symbolism and its uses, but at the same time, the
extent of detail that Thomas went into about the effects of symbolism
has caused me to become even more confused than I had before I read
this chapter. If the symbol is created by the author, then doesn’t
he have specific meaning he/she wants us to catch on to? If he/she
does, why must it be a multitude of meanings? Why does an author hint
towards several meanings in a symbol? Why isn’t an author ever
straightforward when introducing a symbol? How do you know if what
you believe the meaning behind a symbol is right? Does it have to be
right? These questions can go on and on and on, and by the way Thomas
explained things in this chapter, there is probably a yes and no
answer to all of the questions I just listed - which is very
confusing. In literature, it’s not too challenging to detect
symbolism. However, attempting to uncover what the symbol represents
it such a tedious, and difficult task. Since reading this
chapter, one of my biggest questions is to know whether or not an
allegory a type of symbolism, and how can you differentiate the two.
In the novel One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, Chief, the main
character, has these episodes where he envisions fog consuming him.
This fog is present a lot throughout this book and is usually caused
by Nurse Ratched.
When
the fog sets in, Chief is entranced with it, losing sense of reality
and his frightened emotions. This fog is a symbol for something. For
what? For loss of reality? Does it symbolize a sort of mental escape?
How can I figure out what it means? I understood what Thomas was
saying about using your own knowledge and experiences as well as
looking into the text and picking up on clues, but how do you put the
pieces together? How about the way Chief describes society as being
machines? Is that supposed to mean that those who work and run the
ward are just mechanical robots with no morals or feelings? Or does
it mean that we as people are made to follow orders, not to have any
personal opinions or idea? Or does it mean the patients at the ward
turn into machines because of the psychological scarring that the
ward puts onto them? Or is it not even symbolism, but a metaphor? And
If it’s just one of these meaning that are right, is it considered
an allegory, or did Kesey intend for it to mean other things too, and
I just can’t figure the others out? There are so many questions to
be asked about allegories and symbols, and I think it’s a safe bet
to say that sometimes there is no right answer. I wish authors
were just straightforward with what they want us to understand. Is
that so hard?

0 comments:
Post a Comment